Sunday, June 15, 2008

Honor Flight Editorial

New member, Linda from Brookhaven, contributed the following story about an honoree at the August 2007 Honor Flight. Here's a copy of his letter:


Honor Flight Editorial

My name is James E. Kinsey and I was one of the fortunate ones to be well enough to make the August 2007 Honor Flight. I was so impressed to be on this second WWII Veterans visit to the WWII Memorial and Arlington Cemetery. The name “Honor Flight” is so appropriate for this wonderful dedication to the surviving WWII vets. The majority of the WWII vets are far into their eighties and nineties, and most were not able to participate in the Honor Flight due to various medical issues. I feel so blessed that I was physically and mentally able to enjoy and be part of the flight at that time.

We three “old folks”, as we would have called men of our age when we were youngsters, were assisted by Claudia Holloway,
an Honor Flight guardian. She cared for us just as an early childhood teacher does her school children. She made sure we were safe, took pictures, and gave us our medicines.

The trip to Washington was comfortable on the plane and on the bus. We had a terrific send off in Valdosta, we were saluted and sprayed with water by fire trucks in Baltimore, MD. Upon our return to Valdosta, we were again welcomed by a celebration of music by a fabulous band, presented flowers, and greeted by our families. Wow! Did we feel so special!

I am so grateful to have served in WWII for our country’s protection. I know that lots of people have spent many hours getting donations and planning in order to get the Second Honor Flight off the ground. I would like to thank Mr. Powell, Mr. Johnson, and the people that even paid their own fare to help us be recognized and honored. It makes me proud to have served in the Army Air Corp for four years. I would like to thank Mr. Dean Poling for all the wonderful historical information that he shared with us on the plane. His talks were not only informational, but were entertaining.

I have recently been diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers, so this trip was very timely for me. I wish the May 17th Third Honor Flight the same fun and fellowship that we had in August.

My daughters, Jan and Sandy made me a Scrapbook of the memoirs and pictures of the trip. I can relive the trip by flipping through the pages of my scrapbook.

Once again, a very heartfelt thank you to all that made the trip possible for those of us that served in WWII.

James E. Kinsey
Lake Park, GA

No comments: